Strategy and value creation
The strategy establishes the company’s strategic orientation, priorities, and goals. The strategic plan is reviewed annually by Executive Management before subsequent approval by the Board.
Creating value over time
Castellum’s strategy is based on three perspectives: the company, the tenants, and the community. The focus is on further strengthening relations with priority customer segments, developing our customer offering, and improving our asset and development portfolios.
Creating workplaces where people and enterprises thrive.
We create successful and sustainable workplaces in Nordic growth regions by really keeping close to customers, while staying on the cutting edge of innovation and expertise.
The Castellum Spirit
The Castellum Spirit shows the core values that guide Castellum in its daily activities.
Over the next few years, the focus will be on strengthening Castellum’s financial position and balance sheet in order to ensure an adequate credit score.
The strategy for 2024–2026 is based on Castellum’s objectives:
- Long-term goals: vision, mission, and business concept.
- Financial target of 10 per cent annual growth in income from property management at low financial risk.
- Annual growth of 10 per cent in income from property management, measured in SEK per share.
- Loan-to-value ratio that does not permanently exceed 40 per cent.
- Interest coverage ratio of at least 300 per cent.
- Operational targets have been updated to describe Castellum’s continual efforts towards what the company is to become.
To create possibilities for facing the opportunities provided and to be able to adapt ourselves to the prevailing conditions, the targets relating to growth in income from property management must be regarded as an average over a business cycle.
Annual growth of 10% in income from property management, SEK/share, to create shareholder value over time
The commercial company of choice
The commercial company of choice for business and the public sector by developing and offering the sustainable meeting spaces and work places of the future, where organisations can grow and become attractive employers.
The Nordic region’s leading property management company
The Nordic region’s leading property management company that makes daily life easier for our customers through local presence as well as sustainable and digital property operation.
A leader among attractive employers
A leader among attractive employers by focusing on our employees and having a robust culture with clear values.
Investing in and developing commercial premises managed by a decentralised and customer-centric organisation. Castellum focuses on cash flow and operates with low financial risk.
The strategy establishes the company’s strategic orientation, priorities, and goals. The strategic plan is reviewed annually by Executive Management before subsequent approval by the Board. The purpose of the strategy is to optimise the preconditions for Castellum to deliver on the company’s overall growth targets and to create shareholder value. An additional purpose is to ensure that Castellum is the most sustainable property company in the Nordic region and a major player in the efforts to build a sustainable society.
Castellum is one of the largest listed property companies in the Nordic region that specialises in workplaces and smart logistics solutions in the capitals and growth cities of the Nordic countries.
Castellum’s overall target is annual growth of 10 per cent in income from property management, measured in SEK per share, thereby creating shareholder value over time.
Castellum’s offering is to be based on tenants’ needs in order to simplify their daily activities.
Castellum is to be the company of choice in the Nordic business community and public sector as one of the Nordic region’s foremost – and most sustainable – property managers and developers of office and logistics properties. Castellum is to be a leader among attractive employers, with a productive and resource-efficient culture.
Castellum works towards clear sustainability goals, both short- and long-term, to be the most sustainable property company in the Nordic region and actively promote sustainable development. Conducting operations responsibly is crucial for Castellum’s success. Through sustainable operations, Castellum will create value for all its stakeholders, customers and investors.
How we create value
Value creation model
This is a description of how Castellum creates sustainability values in its operation. The construction and property industry accounts for nearly 20 per cent of Sweden’s carbon emissions and generates just over 30 per cent of all waste in Sweden. At Castellum, we do not have just the ambition to drive the transition to a more sustainable society. We act. The value creation model shows how we use business intelligence to plan and act smartly, to exert our influence, and to create sustainable values for our stakeholders. Our ambition is to make a positive contribution to society.
1. Resources that Castellum uses
- 749 properties at a value of SEK 154 Bn and a total area of 5,7 million square metres
- More than 500 employees
- A strong brand
- Nearly 11,000 suppliers and contractors
- 8,000 commercial leases
- 760 green leases
- Natural resources in the form of energy, water and materials
2. Castellum develops successful workplaces and smart logistics solutions
- Project development
- Property management
3. The value Castellum creates for its stakeholders
Satisfied, sustainable tenants
- CSI: 75
- 45 per cent sustainability-certified properties
- 76 solar PV systems installed, corresponding to 11,939 kW
- 922 charging stations provided
- Net lettings: 29,000 sq. m.
- Net income for the year: SEK 1,750 M
- Growth: 9.5 per cent per share in income from property management
- Despite the dividend on hold, 3,175 per cent total return since 1997
- 33 per cent of turnover is EU Taxonomy-aligned
- A green share, Nasdaq Green Equity Designation
Committed employees who are developing
- All employees are offered a physical fitness subsidy
- More than 16,000 training hours completed
- Low level of sick leave (2.9 per cent)
- Good equality (42 per cent women / 58 per cent men)
Robust, long-standing supplier relations
- Code of Conduct applied in all supplier partnerships
- SEK 124 M in energy optimisation projects
- 353 framework agreements
- Goods and services purchased: SEK 8,750 M
4. Castellum’s ambition is to make a positive contribution to society
Reduced environmental and climate impact
Castellum makes efficient use of natural resources, reduces resource consumption and carbon emissions to create a sustainable asset portfolio:
- 63 per cent reduction in carbon emissions since 2007
- 4 per cent reduction in energy consumption
- Castellum promotes biodiversity
- Increases the proportion of circular materials
Strong positive impact on society
- Castellum develops sustainable properties and promotes positive urban development.
- Castellum promotes health, wellness and productivity for its employees and tenants.
- Through WELL at scale, Castellum has a positive influence over 18,000 of its tenants’ employees as regards health and wellness.
Major positive financial impact
Castellum is a profitable company that contributes financially to various stakeholders:
- SEK 558 M in salary and remuneration to employees
- SEK 8,750 M to suppliers and contractors
- SEK 15 M in tax and SEK 14 M in contributions to local communities